Monday, February 03, 2014

Success


The definition of success in the United States is a widely contested notion. Last night the losing quarterback in the NFL Super Bowl was crushed online for being a failure. Joke after joke was posted, some were pretty funny, some just mean. Peyton Manning is one of the most successful players in the history of the NFL. I am not a major fan, nor a hater, but he is pretty darn good. I know in Cleveland we would celebrate a player half as good as Manning as a hero. Following the story last night,  as told by regular folks, only the final champion can be successful. And, I am sure Manning's goal this year was winning the Super Bowl, not just participating.

This makes me think what I consider success to be. Do I see myself as successful today? This is not something I think about often. I spend most of my time in smaller chunks of goal tracking. I think for an exercise this week I will ponder my definition of success. Do I focus on what others think of me in my formula? More importantly, what will I do with the definition I develop?

Lots of questions this week, without many answers, but this is just what's on my mind today. I will make sure I follow up with my answers.

1 comment:

Jenn McDonough said...

I'm intrigued to see what you define success to be. :)