Monday, January 13, 2014

A Little Blood


We just celebrated the boys first birthday over the weekend. Watching my wife spend every ounce of energy she had to send invites, buy all the supplies, decorate the house, make cupcakes, make a smash cake, and bake a beautiful Mickey Mouse cake I realize how lucky I am. I look to Jenn as an example of selflessness, and just dumping love into the family. My kids are so blessed to have Jenn for their Mom. And the outpouring of love and generosity from friends and family was touching, another reason to be truly thankful.

The boy is so different than his sister. C$ was easy with almost everything we threw her way. She slept, ate, walked, and teethed with relative ease. C-Dub is much more of a T-2000; a relentless machine of destruction. He happily bulls his way though everything; sleep, eating, climbing, digging out drawers, eating, drinking and eating. C-Dub was running from his sister last night and ate a fistful of toy groceries. I did not flinch at first, he falls a lot these days learning to walk and run, but the lil' pool of blood under him on the floor stopped me cold. Seeing your kid bleed is never fun. A skinned knee is not too tough, but Dub looked more like Rocky after eating one too many jabs from Clubber Lang. Nose bleed, cut lip and tears. I yelled to Jenn I think he broke his nose, that did not help much. One day I will master the art of think first, then speak. After a cold compress and a little more Mommy love, Dub was fine. This morning I wiggled his nose with no reaction, just like Rocky, kid can take one and roll.

What I am reminded of today is that blood is important. Just like stopping when you see blood, you should stop when your blood needs you. Friends and family are are blood, and we should all take a little more time to see if your close ones have blood on their nose and need some help. One day you may eat a plastic corn cob, and need someone to throw you a towel.

1 comment:

Jenn McDonough said...

Beautiful. Thank you for the best compliment.